About Our Family

My photo
Tuscaloosa,, Alabama, United States
"For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.' The Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." Romans 8:14-17

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Happy 31st to me!!! and general update

January 16th was a special day!  My Special Day to be exact!!!  I turned 31 years old!  I don't mind telling my age because just a few weeks ago...for a few seconds, I wasn't sure I was going to see another birthday.  Asking your doctor if you are going to die is an experience I will never forget.  That moment is etched in my memory forever.  I cling to his emphatic, "NO!" during some of these hard times.  A fellow cancer survivor I've been blessed to talk with wished me a happy birthday on my facebook wall and referenced her memory of the "first" one being a big accomplishment.  Another survivor I'm friends with grinned as she was remembering her first birthday after she was diagnosed while I was talking with her giving her an update.  Then she mentioned how special the first blooms in her garden were and a few other special memories.  I don't remember enjoying a birthday as much as this one since I was a kid!!!!  Everything and anything was special that day!  I was grateful for each and every "Happy Birthday" that came my way!  My wonderful husband took me and Ashlyn to dinner.  It was so yummy and I really enjoyed our time together!  I look at things differently now.  I enjoy each experience just a little more than I did before.  I say more prayers of gratitude for my blessings and I recognize just how very blessed I am!
 
Me and Ashlyn at dinner :-)

I can't say enough times how wonderful Ashlyn's teachers at school are!!!!  They have been so supportive during this time.  I don't worry for one second while Ashlyn is at school because I know how much they love my girl and how much she loves them back!  They got me a bouquet of balloons that Ashlyn has believed (from the very second they gave them to me) are hers.  They gave me the sweetest card with a gift card to help me buy a new wig.  I've been asking her teacher a lot of questions about my wig because, let's face it, I don't know much about wig care and I had mentioned that I would like to get a curly one.  They have been telling me I should get some wild and crazy ones!  They would be so proud of me if I ended up buying a red, spiky haired wig!!!! LOL!
 
I got home to these beautiful roses....and guess what...they weren't even from my husband!  One of my oldest and dearest friends sent them and I just about cried!  They are from my favorite florist in Tuscaloosa (Tuscaloosa Flower Shoppe)!!!  I know the owner there and she is one of the most precious girls!  I think she did a beautiful job with the arrangement!

January 17th was my 4th Chemo treatment.  This is the view from the truck as we headed home.  I got to enjoy the view of the snow falling from my chemo chair.
 


 It only took an extra hour to get home thanks to the snow...at least the scenery was pretty.  I absolutely love snow and I wish I could have gotten out in it to make a snow man, but by the time we got back to Ttown, the snow had melted away. (frown)  Ashlyn got really excited when we got home telling me about the snow and how it was cold in her hand.  They took her out at school and she was definitely a big fan!

 One of my friends made me and Ashlyn matching caps.  Ashlyn loves them!
The 4th Chemo treatment is the last of the Cytoxan and Epirubicin!  Thank God!!!!!!  I'm HALFWAY DONE with Chemotherapy!!!!!!  To say that it kicked my rear would be an understatement.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a "turnaround day" this time around.  Around the time I usually get my turnaround day, I got a severe sore throat along with mouth sores that were more severe than usual.  I haven't eaten anything solid in the last 3 days.  The good news is my hubby makes a mean chocolate protein shake, I learned that you can liquefy the chunks in his soup and it tastes just as good, and I've lost 5 lbs!  I scared the bu-jingles out of my co-workers last Friday.  I thought I was starting to feel better (minus my throat) so I went into work.  I did well until about 3:45.  I called David because I started not feeling so great, but he didn't answer so while I waited for him to call me back I went into the office kitchen to heat up some soup to try to eat thinking it might make me feel better.  As soon as I finished pushing the buttons on the microwave I knew I was about to go down...I made it to my boss's door frame and said "I don't feel very well." and immediately laid down on her floor.  She showed off her seriously "super mom" skills!!!!  She went and got me a pillow for my head.  About a minute and a half later, I mumbled, "I'm gonna be sick." and I don't know how she moved that fast, but I'm telling you, it was like magic *POOF* the trashcan was right there!  My co-worker came in to help.  She went to my office to get my phone and just then David called back.  I told him what happened and he said he was already on his way.  I balled like a baby on the floor of the office, but they made me feel better.  I could tell you a million different ways I love the ladies I work with!  They are smart, amazing, beautiful, Godly, loving, supportive women!  This has been an incredibly hard two weeks, but today I felt better.  I got some work done from home.  "Teresa the Amazing" came over yesterday and cleaned my house and raised my spirits.  She is truly a saint!  Clean sheets are one of my most favorite things in the whole world!  I will leave you with a picture of one of the birthday presents she gave me.  You have to know a little of the back-story.  Teresa had come to my house to shave my head when I just couldn't take it anymore.  Later that evening when we were talking I made the comment that I guessed "it was time for me to put my big girl panties on and learn how to deal with this..."  that part of the conversation stuck with her so she made me a visual to remind me when I needed it.  Please note the remote control above them to help you gauge just how big these are!!! LOL!  Prayers would be appreciated since I'm supposed to have my 5th Chemo treatment tomorrow.  This will be my first dose of Taxotere.

4 comments:

  1. Love your story and LOVE you and your family. One step at a time. We are always here for anything you may need. This will all be behind you, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather Girl, I'm so so glad to hear you had a GREAT birthday and even more that you're at the halfway mark. I'm so amazed and inspired, and I can't wait to give you a HUGE hug when it's allowed. :) And I have to second what Heather said...love your story and love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, Thanks for the update!!!! I know this is very hard, but chemo almost done!!!Yea!!!! Pray for you everyday and think of you always!!! Love to all of you!!! Aunt Susie (Arkansas)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The big girl panties are great! haha! You are such a strong woman! Continually lifting you up in prayer!

    ReplyDelete